Here are some tips to rid your fridge with unpleasant odors and keeping the food inside fresh and clean:
1. Throw out old food, especially the ones with molds on them. Do not keep spoiled food; keep dishes covered in plastic wrap so the taste and smell do not mix with the other food.
2. Clean out the fridge once a week. Throw out the spoiled food, and then take out the removable parts and soak them in a solution of 1 to 2 tablespoon and hot water.
As they are soaked, wipe down both the inside and the outside parts of the fridge.
You can also use vinegar or chlorine bleach. Mix one cup of vinegar or one-half cup chlorine bleach to a gallon of water.
3. Keep the odors at bay by placing either a tin of activated charcoal, a tin of cat litter, a box of baking soda or a tin of coffee grounds inside the fridge. Some people use commercial products like Fridge-IT, Odor Away or Super CD to keep the odors from staying.
4. If the odor still exists, then it must have seeped into the insulation. Have the refrigerator insulation changed to get rid of the odor.
5. If your fridge has a built-in water dispenser like the Maytag ukf8001axx, change your refrigerator water filter every six months. The water filter keeps out the chlorine, sediments, rust, and unpleasant smell from the water.
These five tips are just a few of the tricks you can apply to keep your refrigerator fresh and clean for your family's good health.